Tuesday, March 9, 2010

GH and Dr. Gary Frizzell


This is a dress worn by an actress on General Hospital many years ago (before I gave it up) and I love, love it. Mostly for the detail at the shoulder. Silly, I know....but I'm rather silly. Personally, I have no need for a wedding dress seeing as that I'm currently hitched. I've just kept a picture of this one for-eva for no apparent reason...
General Hospital and "O" used to fill my 3-5pm block of time with the little ones napping away. It was my great escape. Unfortunately, it was a rather trashy escape.
I heard an evangelist say something a couple of years ago that totally convicted me in the area of soap operas and my daily dates with Oprah. Dr. Gary Frizzell said "Every time we view something unclean it grieves the Holy Spirit." YOOWZERS!!!
Compared to other shows and channels, I thought my selections were mild. But, that was the problem. I was comparing them to my standards, not God and His call for us to be holy. (Haven't we all done that at some time or another? We can attempt to justify just about anything we want. Then we try to make ourselves feel better by comparing ourselves to others...)
Breaking the habit of watching the shows was the hardest part. Once I did it for a week or so, it became much easier. It was just that--a bad habit. As I relinquished my hold of GH and 'O', God opened my eyes and planted many questions in my heart like:
"How beneficial would it be if I spent time with Him during their naps?"
"How much could I learn about the Bible?"
"Shouldn't I be putting His Word in my heart?"
It's seems like a no-brainer now, but for someone who wasn't intentionally spending time with Him it was a big deal!
For those of you who don't give time to develop a close relationship with God, I encourage you to evaluate how you're spending the time that our Heavenly Father's giving to you.
There is time everyday. We may have to cut some junk out, but it is possible. And it is so worth it.
Dr. Frizzell is the author of "How to Develop a Powerful Prayer Life"

No comments:

Post a Comment