Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Joyful


I found out a little bit ago that one of my friends is expecting. (She also has a baby who is under 1 yr.) My initial response was joyful. It still is! I pray that she will be surrounded by people that encourage her. However, I'm fairly certain she'll be subjected to unkind comments. I've absolutely been guilty of saying dumb and foolish things to new/expectant moms...well, to pretty much anyone. Learning to shut my mouth is one of my greatest battles. That's another post~


But, it got me thinking about an excellent book I've learned so much from and how much God has changed my heart. The book is "Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free," by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. It is by far one of the best books I've ever read. I started the study guide back in the summer(I think), but didn't complete it. So lately, I've been delving into it while the big two(Biscuit and E) do their schoolwork.


The book itself is fantastic, but the study guide is deeper and more challenging. Just what I need! Anyhow, one of the topics covered in the book deals with children and the lie that we do not determine the size of our families. It's something that I've been struggling with my entire adult life. Birth control. Number of Children. Pressure from our culture. Desire for more kids--WHAT?!--I must be crazy. Lack of Support within the Body of Christ. My own warped view of fertility mostly based in fear and human reasoning. It's been quite a journey and one that I haven't shared with many friends because it is so controversial.


I'm so glad that I finally took it to God and stopped consulting the world(even though I didn't think I was). I suppose it is a good idea to ask the Creator!LOL

Forgive me if I've ever given you ungodly advice about having children. Who am I to question God or His gifts?(Psalm 127:3-5)


Just so you know, this has been one of the hardest areas of my life to surrender. Being human, I still have questions and doubts. It is not for me to figure Him out or attempt to understand His ways. They are not mine. That has been tough. Making peace with the fact that I must be content no matter what happens, trusting God with everything...
FYI: This post is not coming coming from a heart of judgement or condemnation. Our walks with God are deeply personal and different. I've just had to face myself and the choices I've made. Were they rooted in His Word?

Or were they results of believing lies?

Are there any areas that I've deemed "off limits" to God?


~Congratulations to my sweet friend! Thrilled for you!

2 comments:

  1. I'm wanting to comment but not sure what to say. I once heard Lori Salierno say that there is God's will and there is God's direction. God's will is clearly laid out in The Bible - Do not commit adultery, Love the Lord your God with all your Heart, Love your enemy as you love yourself, etc., etc. But God's direction is different. God didn't clearly say in Leviticus that Rebekah Johnson should marry Brian Gregg, that they should live in this house or that in this town or that, that they should have this or that many number of children. That He does leave some things up to us to decide but that He may or may not have a different way. I'm of the opinion that He put it in my heart many years ago that we wanted 4 children. But no more. Perhaps this wasn't the right decision but these are things we can't know this side of eternity. I believe that for some He didn't give a "limit" but that for others, perhaps, He did. Hmmm... Hot topic. ; )

    Congratulations to your friend! The 1st couple years might be tough but they always are regardless of the spread in age. Tell her to hang in there and not to listen to negative people. Too many people have too many opinions and don't know when their opinions are not wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a hot topic! I've found few issues that invoke such passion and controversy.Like I said, I know that our relationships with God are personal and not something to compare or contrast. There will be things that He convicts me of that few of my friends may share at all, much less at the exact same time. For me, it was an area of trust and surrender. I haven't studied or prayed enough to address His will vs. His direction! I just pray that I'm open to whatever He says or does, whenever He says or does it:)
    BTW, you know my friend, it's Laura Lawson!

    ReplyDelete