Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Collections


Tole trays are one of my great loves. A few years ago after going to some antiques shows, I realized that I was drawn to them over and over again.
Initally, I was hoping to hang a grouping of them in my breakfast room once I had aquired a decent amount. That didn't happen.


For one thing, I have a hard time finding trays that I like enough to buy. Either the tray is in poor condition or I don't like the painting. Secondly, they aren't cheap. I didn't know anything about them when I started buying them. Typically I find the ones I like are in the $75-$100+ range.
Currently, I have two metal trays and one wooden tray. Both metal trays have a black background and the wooden one is burgundy. My love of tole isn't limited to trays. During trips to the Scott Antique Market in Georgia, my Mom and I found a round table and a small chest with tole paintings on the lids. Both of those pieces were more affordable and we scooped them up.
For me, one of the great aspects of collecting is that it takes years to accumulate. It's like a treasure hunt. Some days you dig for nothing and other days you hit the jackpot. Over time you get to thoughtfully put together a group of items that have meaning to you. I used to try to hurry up a fill a wall or shelf with whatever I could cheaply accumulate at places like Hobby Lobby or discount stores.(I still like to go there, but I don't feel a compulsion to buy an item just because I like it and it's a good deal.)
With each passing year, I find that I'd rather wait and seek out a piece that really speaks to me than try to just fill my house with meaningless beautiful stuff. Even if it is months between finding a treasure, it is worth the wait.


What do you collect or hope to some day?

1 comment:

  1. I like tole paintings as well. I really like just about any kind of original artwork. I talked to a crafter one day at a craft fair who did "one stroke painting." It's a lot like tole painting. I liked that she painted all sorts of ordinary, everyday objects like canisters, trays, scraps of wood, etc. Very whimsical. I don't really collect anything but if I did it would be original oil paintings and needlepoint pillows and framed needlepoint pieces. I've tried needlepoint before and it's tedious!

    ReplyDelete