Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Beyond Precious Moments

Many years ago Shane began teaching E-Dog to open doors for women...more specifically me. Opening the car door was the main focus, but really we wanted him to learn to open any door for a girl or a lady. I would have to say that we haven't been consistent. Being in a rush or having the kids loaded before the adults has kept it from becoming a habit. We forget or he forgets. It's not a big deal at all, but one of our goals is for our boys to grow into men with chivalry. Last Wednesday night was typical. Rushed to get to Awanas. Got the kids checked in to their classes and then I spent time in the nursery. Afterwards, we came home. (Now keep in mind that last week I was 30 weeks pregnant, so I'm moving a tad slower than usual.) As soon as my ignition is turned off, both back doors flew open and the mass exodus ensued. And then I hear E say, "Wait Mom! I'm gonna get your door for you!" My door opened and I saw my little man standing there and for just a moment I wanted to freeze time. Blame it on the hormones or the stress of Wednesday nights, it hit me like a ton of bricks. He was so adorable standing there smiling... and I was immediately aware that I'd never have that time with him again. That moment would pass, unable to ever be recaptured. So as my eyes filled up with tears (which I'm quite sure was not the reaction he expected) I told him how sweet it was and what it meant to me. Don't we all have experiences that we cherish? I've had countless times that I've been so moved and right then I've asked God to help me treasure the memory. I don't want to forget...ever. There are some moments that are burnt into you (in a good way) and they are beyond precious. Living in the present is so hard sometimes, but it is vitally important. If we are always thinking of the past or the future, we truly miss out on what or who is right in front of us. Last Wed was such a blessing. I'm so thankful for my children and for the time that God has given me with them! Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own troubles. Matthew 6:34

No comments:

Post a Comment