Monday, May 31, 2010

Udderly Hilarious


The other night cow udders came up.

I don't remember how or why.

My precious little E had made a rather interesting observation.

He said that cow udders looked like a lot of...and then he pointed south...

The house erupted in laughter. Mostly mine.

Once I recovered, I proceeded to explain to him that udders were not part of a cow's excretory system---I'm sure he understood that! Ha! I just wasn't sure how exactly to explain it to him. So thanks to the trusty ole' Internet, the kids and I looked up info on that area.

But, that exploration added more fuel to E-dog's fire and he began shooting off questions about where baby cows come out. Then he and Tater teamed up on me wanting to see a birth or dissection, whichever I'd let them see (they were reading all the things listed in the Google search).

We didn't watch any videos.

A mom must know her daily limit.

Seeing a human birth when I was 21 horrified me, and so I concluded that we'd avoid the birthing footage.

Maybe another day.

Far away.

All this talk made me realize that living on a farm provides so many experiences and answers. Don't misunderstand the previous statement. I have no desire to have a farm. It just seems that when kids are exposed to animals and their life cycles daily, they learn so much!

And I know, you can always go visit a dairy or farm and see what goes on.

But not so long ago people had farms or at least a cow, had chickens, grew big gardens...it was a different world.

A world without computers, cable TV, ipods, cell phones, malls, etc.

It was a simple life.

When I say simple it is in no way degrading. Simple meaning less complicated. Maybe their time was spent do more meaningful things and less time was wasted.

Just some thoughts.

Oh, and by the way E, thanks for the mammaries.

I couldn't resist.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment