Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I Heart Texting

I was possibly one of the last people to learn how to text....seriously. I started texting right before your parents learned how---and you thought that would never happen! For a while, I thought it was something that only the "young" people did. I prided myself in phone calls, you know actually talking to people. Texting seemed so impersonal and thoughtless. And for a while, I only did it when I really couldn't talk like in a Dr.'s office or something.
At some point I got off my high horse and down into the real world. Of course, I don't want to get to a place where I never have actual conversations or write cards. Those things are precious and can't be replaced. Currently, it is much easier and efficient for me to communicate with my family and friends by texting. Like today, I wanted to ask my Mom a question and didn't have time at that particular moment to have a full fledged chat. I simply texted her and she quickly replied with an answer. Not impersonal. Not thoughtless.
Most of the time when we are doing school, I don't have my phone right beside me. Neither the kids nor I need the distraction. I will occasionally check it throughout the day to see if I've missed one. So if you ever wonder why I haven't responded, that is why.
In addition, I love being able to send several people the same message. It's like 3-way calling in elementary school except I'm not trying to see who they like or whatever. Event planning is made much easier with fast responses. Oh, I forgot to mention that I can't access the Internet from my phone, so that also makes texting more appealing. I don't have to turn on the computer, check my email, and then reply.
I love an hour marathon call as much as the next chatty-Cathy, but my life allows for few and far between of those. My girlfriends always knew that they could call me on a road trip and I'd almost get them to their destination. Don't know if that was good or bad. Anyway, I do miss catching up in great detail and feeling more intimately connected. Thankfully, God has given me wonderful friends who don't feel insecure when we don't talk every day or every week. It took me a while to be ok with less, but I've had to accept it and not feel bad or disappointed.
Texting, I heart you. My life is easier with you. My time management has improved. you've enabled me to talk to people when I otherwise couldn't. Sorry I looked down my big bratty nose at you. U r gr8t!

1 comment:

  1. i hrt txt 2. LOL. I'm so glad to know I can send you a text without interrupting that precious school time - I know how hard it is to get back on track if a distraction arises. Busy Mom + Texting = Efficiency

    ReplyDelete