Thursday, November 4, 2010

I'm Fasting

Don't freak out on me. It's definitely not food!
Last night as I laid awake with insomnia, I was convicted of my interest in celebrities. After praying and repenting, it seemed I wasn't quite done. I needed to do something to break up my connection with Hollywood. I decided to fast. One month without checking People.com (or any other similar site).
Ever since Biscuit was a toddler, I haven't bought any magazines that I thought would be inappropriate for little eyes. She couldn't read, but it didn't matter to me. Instead, I've been able to satisfy my interest in "stars" by checking out People, etc. In addition, having a consistent quiet time has been one of my struggles for the last few months and it's really bothered me. I can tell a difference in myself. I concluded that my desire to know the latest whatever and my lack of discipline in doing devotions may be connected. If I'm not carving out time with Him, then I don't have time to waste on that stuff. It's a bad habit that I need to break.
I also recently listened to a sermon by Mark Driscoll on "The Truth and the Lies in Worship." He discusses this topic and God really used it to open my eyes. I don't feel like I'm idolizing celebrities, but I've definitely had too much interest in their lives.
As a believer in Jesus Christ, I'm called to write His Word on my heart, put it in my mind, and have it in my mouth (and I can with the help of the Holy Spirit). Basically, I've just not been doing that diligently and it's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment